Social Skills Tutoring aims to support clients to internalise the positive concepts and qualities from the self-help materials that they study. As an autistic peer, a deeper level of trust and understanding allows the tutor to provide emotional support while exerting a positive influence.
Clients will receive a series of assignments where they may complete alone or as part of a small team with other autistic peers. The peer tutor will translate the concepts and terms used by non-autistic people into autistic-friendly understanding that can be applied to practical life.
These assignments will be set based on self-improvement books chosen by the client or the sponsor. Eric is comfortable working with both religious and liberal study materials.
Examples of social skills books that are usually helpful for autistics:
- The Asperkid’s Secret Book of Social Rules – The Handbook of Not-So-Obvious Social Guidelines for Tweens and Teens with Asperger Syndrome
- Social Skills for Teenagers and Adults with Asperger Syndrome – A Practical Guide to Day-to-day Life
- Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships – Decoding Social Mysteries Through the Unique Perspectives of Autism
Examples of self-help books that are usually helpful for autistics:
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
- Getting Things Done by David Allen
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- From Third World to First: The Singapore Story by Lee Kuan Yew
- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain
- The Art of War by Sun Tzu
Many autistics may be resistant to tutoring unless sufficient rapport has already been established (such as via prior Buddy Befriending). While both befriending and tutoring can occur concurrently, befriending can be reduced over time. Once the client is ready to transform their lives, they can proceed to Adulting Training.
On-site Social Skills Tutoring (i.e. where Eric must travel) costs SGD$100 per hour for a minimum of 2 hours.
Remote Social Skills Tutoring (i.e. where Eric can work from home) costs SGD$80 per hour.