There are 7 aspects of being; the absence of any of which we cease to be. Strengthening these aspects relies on the three processes of observation, digestion and expression.
Observation is the process of welcoming the object of our observation into our consciousness and then deepening our awareness of it using concepts. Digestion is the process where we remove the foreignness from our experiences and transform its essence to become part of ourselves. Expression is where we share part of our own essence and identity with the rest of the world.
The strengthening exercises below are meant to be lived in daily life for their full potential to be unleashed. They help us remain centered (neither drawn towards materialism nor towards spirituality) within our human experience, letting us be more fully grounded and ‘real’ in our daily lives.
1) Strengthening Memory
– Observe: We are the protagonist in our own life story. Write a story about ourselves. How are our past experiences affecting our present choices? What is the type of story we are writing? What type of character are we portraying ourselves as?
– Digest: We are what we remember. As a detached observer, we recall our own experiences in reversed order, like rewinding a tape. Go through as much detail as we can instead of just reviewing the main events. Stick to what actually happened, not what could have happened.
– Express: We usually judge people based on their past, not their future; this applies to ourselves too. Take a leap into the future and see the different possibilities of who can we can become.
2) Strengthening Souling
– Observe: We exist in an unbroken web of meaningful relationships. Describe the relationship between all things in our world (e.g. poems, songs) whenever we feel inspired to do so.
– Digest: Life is a process of exchanging; we take in something and give out something in exchange. Record and review what we have received and what we have given to the world.
– Express: Rituals are a way that we honor our relationship to personally meaningful events. Create rituals when we have to, and use rituals as they are meant to be used.
3) Strengthening Thinking: We often get stuck in our old ways of thinking, preventing us from growing.
– Observe: Look for something new within what is familiar; find something new to learn.
– Digest: Be open to how the impossible can be true; suspend disbelief when hearing something that goes against our own beliefs.
– Express: We can practice focusing solely on an object and all the knowledge that is associated with it.
4) Strengthening Feeling
– Observe: Whenever we feel something, distinguish our true feelings from reactions. True feelings exist only in the present and are free of the past. Reactions are the echoes from our past experiences and come with tinges of judgment.
– Digest: Explore opposite and alternative assumptions regarding intentions. Whenever someone triggers our feelings (no matter positively or negatively), consider the assumptions that trigger these feelings, and possible alternatives for these.
– Express: Bring out the weak feelings that we can hardly feel. Do releasing on the strong feelings so that they weaken in intensity.
5) Strengthening Choosing
– Observe: When we make choices, identify what is right and what is easy. There may be many levels of right and easy.
– Digest: Before we choose something out of habit or reaction, pause right at the moment and consider what we are doing.
– Express: Finish whatever that we have committed to do.
6) Strengthening Life
– Observe: What makes us alive and what makes us feel deadened? Note down our daily experiences; sometimes joy is found among the ordinary and weariness among what should make us happy.
– Digest: Whenever we see something negative or deadening, focus on the goodness, beauty, meaning and authenticity that are latent in it, and experience these too.
– Express: Create opportunities in our life to allow us to express life (i.e. be healthier and happier) in a sustainable manner.
7) Strengthening Body
– Observe: How and what do we feel about different parts and aspects of our physical body? Pay attention to the associations.
– Digest: Experience the full range of movements and possibilities of the human body (e.g. dance, yoga).
– Express: Do what we need to keep our body healthy (e.g. exercise, good nutrition, medical checkups).
We are the mirrors of the Universe.
Seeing itself through our eyes.
Hearing itself through our ears.
Feeling itself through our heart.
Knowing itself through our mind.
Witnessing itself through our consciousness.
Becoming itself through our selves.